Friday, April 16, 2010

*


*
Originally uploaded by frontdrive34
No wise words here.

Well, this is another recovered negative/transparency from a shot with a Polaroid 103 on Fuji FP100-C peel apart film. I'm slowly working through all my recent shots and bleach washing the part that often gets thrown away.
I love the colours, sometimes more than the original shot!

I, by no means, created this process but I often get asked how its done ( I also can't find the step by step Flickr set)

My method is as follows:
1. Shoot an image on Fuji FP100-C, develop and peel apart.

2. Keep the image AND the chemical backing with its "negative" and allow both to dry well.

3. Wash the negative section in a cold water bath. (I originally read that you should fix the image in B&W fixer. I've never done this and had no issues by not doing it) This will allow you to wash off the white goop as well as remove all the remaining backing, paper and chemical pod. Once cleaned up you will have a clean sheet of film. Allow to dry.

4. Tape the dried sheet down to a sheet of glass with the black side facing out. I tape it down with a minimal amount of tape around the sheet. It needs to be sealed so bleach can't get under the tape.

5. In a sink keep the glass sheet upright and then using an old soft toothbrush and liquid pool chlorine brush clorine over the black backing. I work quickly as the tape I use has a water soluble glue! ANY chlorine that gets on the "dry" side will wash away the image. Once the black falls off, usually after 2 wipes with chlorine, wash the sheet well under cold water, remove from glass and keep rinsing taking all the tape off. Allow to dry.

6. Once dried, SCAN!

3 comments:

  1. I use blue painters tape to hold down the negative and paper towel soaked in bleach then rinse. That seems to work well. But you got very nice colors from your neg. Is that done via scanning or corrected in PS?

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue painters tape is a paper tape isn't it? Sounds worth trying.
    The neg is as scanned without any mods. Epson 2450 scanner with its software.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a treat, this shot.
    Your step-by-step bleaching tips are the easiest to read - plenty of flickr posts about it but they all make my head spin.

    ReplyDelete